Tuesday, September 30, 2008

A Boy Turns 50

A two-sided pendant for a friend of mine. Well it's actually for her hunky I-can't believe-he's-turning-50 bloke who likes to mess around with Studebaker engines.

1. I found this quite wonderful sketch of a souped-up studebaker engine below by a drawing blogger,
Zeke Miller:2. Fused it with my rekindled love of Road Killed Metal ( I can feel a new range coming on):


3. Got me some texture- rough manly texture from bashing silver into the road (confounding the postman) and the top texture from rollerprinting stamped/scratched brass:


4. Finally I snuk in a 22 carat gold dome for Mr Heart of Gold, rivetted it all together, did some extra detailing and oxidising and brass brushed.
I was quite chuffed how it turned out- hope he likes it!


8 comments:

shula said...

You're a bloody genius.

Kay Cooke said...

That is soooo great! Yes. You are a bloody genius!

Jesika Jack said...

Looks great! Can't wait to see the road killed metal range!

Her said...

I used my car to run over some Mac keyboards the other day, the neighbour saw me and didn't say a thing, I must be really weird if they weren't surprised by that. BTW those things are tough!

Rebecca-the-Wrecker said...

Haha thanks everyone. If i saw a neighbour go crazy and start running over inanimate objects, I'd probably keep my head down too!

Matt & Svenja said...

Hey Rebecca,

Yes I have, according to the record turned 50, I can't believe it myelf, and still think my parents made a mistake on my birth certificate !! As you know my beloved, who commissioned the pendant, was over seas at the time of my ageing another year, so I opened the gift myself....I love it - as much as the other pendant you made for me, you ARE an artisan. If I can help with materials, tools, equipment, or inspiration, at any time, my engineering workshop is always at your disposal. As far as the 'Hunky' descritpion you gave me, either your glasses need upgrading,or you and I should have a private talk ;-).

Matt

Rebecca-the-Wrecker said...

ta matt
of course all my clients are incredibly good looking, it's a pre-req. Tho any 'private talks' shall have to be very secret squirrel lest that fiery mrs of yours comes gunning for me and i get renamed rebecca-the-homewrecker!
so glad you like the piece, i may have to take up the workshop offer some time.

Unknown said...

Rebecca, another really wonderful piece. I just love love love your work! I still get a lot of compliments on my pebbles in a pebble. I'm saving my pennies for soemthing new...